Hometown/Beach: I was born and raised in Malverne, NY but spent every summer at Jacob Riis Park which is one block west of Rockaway, NY.
Profession: High School Math teacher/ Surf Lifeguard
Family: Girlfriend of 6+ years, we met on the swim team at The Ohio State University.
Racing Start: I started racing as a pool swimmer at the age of 6 and began competing in surf lifesaving competitions at 11. My dad is the Assistant Chief Lifeguard at Riis Park and was/is an avid pool and ocean swimmer.
Training: My background in competitive pool/open water swimming has provided me with a great base. My training regiment for the fall months is as follows, I will do less craft training in the winter and pick it back up early spring.
Favorite Moment: Winning the Run-Swim-Run at Nationals this year. I had a disappointing finish in the Ironman coming in 4th and felt like I didn’t have anything left. The Run-Swim-Run started 15 minutes after the Ironman so I didn’t expect much until I found myself right in the middle of the top group. I came out of the water with teammate Pat Kilgallen who had won the event the previous 3 years. I was able to draft on he and Rodney Fentress for the majority of the swim so I had fresh legs and had a better kick on the final run leg. To top it off Riis Park finished 1-2-3, with Pat finishing 2nd and Christian Foti just behind him.
Equipment: Board – BRT, Ski – Hayden, Ski Paddle – Jantex
1. 2 x USLA Open Men’s Surf Race National Champion
2. USLA Open Men’s Run-Swim-Run National Champion
3. USLA National Team Member 2012-Present
4. 10th place Surf Race 2014 World Surf Lifesaving Championships (France)
5. 2nd place Surf Race 2013 International Surf Rescue Challenge (Japan)
6. Absecon Island Paddle for a Cause (22.5 Miles) Prone Division Champion and course record holder 3hr 51min
7. 2010 Big Ten Team Champion – The Ohio State University Men’s Swimming and Diving
8. 2007 New York State champion 500 yard freestyle
3 pool swims
5 ocean surf swims or Run-Swim-Run
4 surf ski